If you are going to sell your goods worldwide, there are several important aspects you should consider. The first one is that you can’t import or export any items without customs clearance. This process means a document provided by the customs body to a shipper. The document indicates that all duties have been paid and the shipper’s goods are cleared for export.
To make the process as smooth and convenient as possible, it’s better to hire a customs broker. Many freight forwarders provide this service. There are several reasons why it’s a good idea to entrust this task to specialists. They are the following:
- You save time.
You can’t even imagine how overwhelming it can be to gather all the needed papers. Sometimes it may take several weeks. Moreover, if you are an experienced shipper, you may miss some important papers. It means you are to miss more time. Competent specialists know for sure what information should be provided;
- You avoid unexpected delays.
Situations when some important papers are absent, happen quite often. If you think that it’s possible to solve the problem instantly, you are wrong. Your cargo won’t be allowed to upload. It leads to delays and financial losses;
- You get rid of fuss.
If you are not fond of red tape, you won’t appreciate this process. It’s necessary to pay attention to details and check all the pages several times. The experts are ready to help you to cope with this problem.
Yet, if you still decide to do everything on your own, you have to prepare the following list of documents:
- Signed invoice
- The list of packing products
- Bill of Lading or Delivery Order/Airway Bill
- GATT declaration form. It should be filled out in a proper way. Mistakes may lead to refusal of freight customs processing;
- Importers/CHA’s declaration
- License wherever necessary
- Letter of Credit/Bank Draft/wherever necessary
- Insurance document
- Import license
- Industrial License, if required
- Test report in case of chemicals
- Ad Hoc exemption order. It’s a must for cargoes that include products that are not to be sold;
- Duty Entitlement Pass Book;
- Catalog, Technical write up, Literature in case of machinery, spares, or chemicals as may be applicable
- Separately split up the value of spares, components of machinery;
- Certificate of Origin, if the preferential rate of duty is claimed
- No Commission declaration
The list is rather long. No wonder, it’s difficult to prepare everything on your own. It also has to be highlighted that customs clearance is not free. The price varies from country to country. On average, you are to pay up from $50.
Moreover, international transportation is a rather complicated and time-consuming process. You should be ready to make a great effort to organize shipping in the proper way. It’s necessary not only to gather all the needed permissions and documents. You are to find out information about fees you have to pay while shipping your products in other countries. You are to hire reliable carriers.
So, international freight transportation requires lots of time and effort. The success of the process depends on several factors. But a trouble-free customs clearance is a must. Without it, you can’t count on the further distribution of your products.