To deliver 3pl freight successfully, there are various types of containers. A container is a special tank of standard size which is made of steel metallic alloys. International practice shows that logistics companies often use one kind of container which can be used for marine, railway, automobile, and air delivery.
A transportation container is a logistics unit that can be used many times. It serves for safe storage and delivery of bulk, liquid, and strip cargos.
Classification by weight and size
- Containers for delivery cargos. Their general weight is 20 pounds. They are characterized by small size and are used for delivering cargo with high density and weight.
- High container that can accommodate up to 40 pounds. It is used to transfer light, but oversized materials.
- Containers are used to deliver more than 45 pounds of shipments.
Companies often use large cargo containers for marine transportation. In this case, the appropriate weight of the cargo is 45-53 pounds.
International transportation companies use special labels which show information about the tonnage and kind of construction. The following kinds are outlined:
- Dry Container – a standard package labeled as ‘DC’; it can deliver cargos which weight is from 20 to 40 pounds;
- HC (HQ) – this abbreviation is used for labeling the standard high containers and packages with increased load capacity;
- Reefer or ‘RF is a refrigerated container, which is used for perishable cargo transportation and those goods which require special storage conditions; producers equip such packages with a cooling system and thermally isolated corpus;
- A platform or an open-top container without side walls is usually used for delivering non.standard, oversized, or heavy goods;
- Open top container with the moving lid – it is relevant for vertical loading of large and oversized shipments; the usual label for these containers is ‘OT’;
- Tank container – it is used for moving bulk and liquid goods; producers use a model of a hermetic cistern; the international label is ‘TC’.
Specialists always mention the number on the labels. The number points load capacity. It is considered that these numbers are shown in pounds. So, you can see the containers with numbers such as ‘20’ or ‘45’. There is a big list of containers that are used in international logistics, but mentioned ones are the most popular. As for the size and volume of the containers, there are no strict standards. The producers can have their sizes, so two containers from different producers can differ.
Container transportation is relevant for marine, railway, and air transport. Thanks to the sizes of the containers, you can be sure of cargo safety. Moreover, it is not necessary to use special protective locks, the producers thought. Container transportations are available and beneficial. And the containers are constructed with additional elements, which are used for reliable fixation of the delivered goods.