Any enterprise faces the problem of cargo transportation. It can be earlier or later, but it always happens because businesses try to develop themselves in other areas. It is rather simple to arrange the transportation of the usual standard cargos. You just need to find a suitable vehicle and plan the route. However, when we speak about oversized cargo, it’s clear that it can be more difficult. But, of course, local freight companies do their best to help clients in delivering their shipments.
Oversized cargo is a unit and its characteristics don’t match the standard technical requirements. These characteristics are weight, shape, and size. Usually, they are construction equipment, agricultural techniques, various metallic constructions, out-of-order planes, ships, and others. It is impossible to transport such cargo in closed vehicles because of these characteristics.
One more peculiar feature of oversized cargo transportation is the risk of crashes. Mistakes in planning and transferring can lead to damage to different constructions, buildings, and electric networks. According to this, it is clear that the transportation process must be performed with the rules and technical norms followed.
Oversized shipment is one of the most difficult. The companies, which arrange the transportation process, are responsible for the safety of cargo. To avoid problems, you need to prepare for transportation. It is important to take into account the following factors:
- The possibilities of logistics and transportation companies;
- Technical opportunities of the vehicles, including railway, marine, and automobile transport, as well as lifting machines and mechanisms;
- The possibilities of the automobile and railway roads which can be used in extreme conditions;
- The requirements for the quality of delivery;
- The terms of transportation;
- The necessity of the financial expenditure on the preparation and the transportation.
Sometimes regular deliveries of oversized cargo require the following points to be followed:
- Production of the loading and unloading operations; sometimes cargo transferring from one place to another;
- Strengthening of the roads and bridges;
- Reconstruction of the engineering communications, electric and contact networks;
- Building of the detours and driveways;
- Producing new or reconstruction of existed vehicles;
- Producing non-standard technological equipment.
Planning the route
As for the route, it is rather difficult to plan it properly. The main aim is to provide the safety of the cargo and the proper conditions for its delivery. The optimal route also provides safety conditions for other road users. The route must be planned to avoid damage to the road and other cars.
Cargo transportation is performed on the general roads. It means you should choose the route taking into account its speed regime and off-road capability. It’s also important to remember that the transportation time must be minimized and the terms of delivery must be short.